Monday, December 7, 2015

Welcome to the 21st Century!


“Teachers need to integrate technology seamlessly into the curriculum instead of viewing it as an add-on, an afterthought, or an event.” – Heidi-Hayes Jacobs




Think about your weekend, how many times did you interact with technology during your day? I am willing to bet that it was a lot more than you realize. Technology surrounds us. It is in virtually everything that you interact with everyday and the uses of technology is growing everyday. Are we ready to teach kids for a world of technology?

I know what some of you are thinking, "They are growing up with technology, they'll do just fine." While I believe are students will aclimate with the increased use of technology, that in no way makes them experts. A five year old might be able to do what appears to be more on your phone it doesn't mean they are able to use it functionally. We need to guide and teach our students to be functional and productive with your computers.

Are you willing to try and learn more? Everyday this week, I will send out quicktips that I hope will make you more productive and functional in your use of technology. In addition, I will send links to videos that explain a bit more about the Hour of Code and what it is all about. I challenge you to try to complete an hour of coding and to learn one new thing from my posts this week. Who is up for the challenge?

No comments: