Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What a wonderful world...virtually.

When I was growing up I was taught at an early age to look both ways before I cross the street, to not talk to strangers, and to be careful of the mean dog down the street.  As kids we were taught lots of lessons to keep us safe and out of harms reach.  Most of the time the dangers were obvious and easy to recognize.  Today I am raising my own children in a new world with dangers that are hard to see coming.  I am not talking earth, I am talking the massively expanding virtual world.

The internet has done so much to both expand our world and at the same time make our world smaller.  It is easy for anyone with an internet connection to find information about practically anything and anyone they want.  It is important to educate both ourselves and our students about using the internet safely.
Back in January, one of my favorite blogs posted links and overviews of some great resources to teach ourselves and students about using the internet.  I encourage you to check them out and find one that fits your style. The videos on the bottom of the post are particularly clear and informative.

Free Technology for Teachers: 11 Resources for Teaching & Learning Web Safety

I personally will be requiring my students in September to use one of these resources before we continue with our projects.  

No comments: